Welcome to Roslyn & Herricks
On September 13, 1949, the Board of Education adopted a resolution creating an adult education program in Roslyn. As we celebrate the 60th anniversary of Roslyn Adult Continuing Education, we invite you to join the many thousands of Roslyn residents who have participated in the program through the years.
As of August 2010, Roslyn Adult Continuing Education is located in the Roslyn Public Schools Annex at 440 Round Hill Road, next door to Roslyn High School and across the street from the East Hills School. The center houses the Adult Education office and classrooms.
Roslyn is also pleased to be a partner with Herricks Adult Education and to offer classes at the Herricks Community Center, 999 Herricks Road in New Hyde Park.
Queries regarding both Roslyn and Herricks classes should be directed to the Roslyn Adult Education Office. The phone number is 516-801-5091. The fax number is 516-801-5095.
Roslyn classes are held at the Roslyn Annex and Herricks classes are held at the Herricks Community Center, unless otherwise noted in the course catalog.
The Adult Education Advisory Committee was founded almost 60 years ago, making it the longest continuously active committee in the Roslyn School District. By providing community oversight of, and input into, the Adult Continuing Education Program, the committee strives to assist in the development of programs designed to meet the educational, recreational, cultural and social needs and interests of all segments of the community.
The Committee meets six times per year, usually on the second Wednesday of the month from October to April (excepting January) from 9:45-11:00am in the Adult Education Center. Meetings are listed in the Scope Calendar. Community residents interested in serving as volunteers on the Committee are encouraged to contact: Adult Education Advisory Committee, c/o Roslyn Adult Education, P.O. Box 367, Roslyn, NY 11576 or call 801-5091.
A written request for a refund must be made one week before the first class. Trip refunds must be requested 30 days prior to departure date. For cancellations less than 30 days prior to departure, full or partial refunds are contingent upon the ability to sell the seat.
There are no refunds on registration fees, books or supplies.
There is no provision for a partial fee for taking one session or part of a course. Making up absences in another section of a course depends entirely on space availability in that section.
In the event that Roslyn Adult Education has to cancel a class, we will make every effort to reschedule the class. If the class cannot be rescheduled, we will provide a refund or credit.
In classes with limited enrollment, preference is given to Roslyn School District residents until one week prior to the first class (30 days for trips). Proof of residency may be required.
Class locations are listed in the catalog. The Adult Education Center is in the Roslyn Public Schools Annex at 440 Round Hill Road, next door to Roslyn High School and across the street from the East Hills School. Please use the entrance on the west side of the building, nearest the high school. The Adult Education Office is in Room 6.
Classes are canceled whenever the Roslyn Public Schools are closed. Announcements of school closings are posted at www.roslynschools.org. You may also register to receive emails with weather-related or other announcements. Click on Email Announcements.
These costs are not included in the course fees, unless specifically noted. No discounts are available on texts or materials.
A senior citizen discount is available for most in-district courses and is listed with each course description. There are no discounts for trips or Defensive Driving. The discount applies to individuals 55 years or older who reside in the Roslyn School District and hold a Gold Card. Please include your Gold Card number. If you don't have a Gold Card, please call 801-5090 or 801-5091.
Juniors and Seniors at Roslyn High School may enroll in selected courses with approval of the Adult Education Director, High School Principal and a parent (with the exception of SAT Review, which is specifically offered for them). Children are not permitted in class unless a course is specifically designed for them.
Discounts are available to Roslyn School District residents with financial need. Please contact the Director of Adult Education prior to registering for the course. Such financial assistance is offered in memory of Ethel Sperling, an Adult Education advocate and long-serving member of the Adult Education Advisory Committee.
No auditors or visitors are permitted in any class.
Instructors are prohibited from giving personal advice either inside or outside the classroom. Students waive any claim against the Roslyn Union Free School District for loss or damage which may result if such prohibition is violated and if students rely on such advice. Instructors are also prohibited from soliciting participants for the sale of professional services, books or other materials not specifically related to the class.
Please be advised that the Board of Education of the Roslyn Union Free School District, its employees and agents hereby disclaim any and all responsibility for any injury, damage, or loss whatsoever in connection with any course offered by the Roslyn Adult Education program. All individuals take such courses at their own risk.
Call 801-5091 for information.
You may register to receive email announcements from the Roslyn Public Schools, including Adult Education. Go to announce.roslynschools.org and select the email lists you wish to subscribe to. This is a self-subscribing system; your email address will not be used for any other purpose than to receive announcements from the email lists you subscribe to.
No person in the United States shall, on the grounds of race, color or national origin, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance, or be so treated on the basis of sex under most educational programs, or activities receiving federal assistance. For questions or issues concerning Title IX, contact Dr. Edward A. Salina, Jr., the District Title IX Coordinator, 801-5020. Section 504 provides that: "No otherwise qualified individual with handicaps in the United States,...shall, solely by reason of her or his handicap, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance..." For questions or issues concerning The Rehabilitation Act, contact Dr. Stuart Grossman, Director of Pupil Personnel Services, 801-5060.
The Board of Education, its officers and employees, will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed or religion, marital status, sexual orientation, handicapping condition, gender or age.
• This 16-week program includes 24 hours of classroom instruction, plus homework, AND 24 hours of driving instruction, with each student spending 6 hours behind the wheel. Additional driving practice outside of class is required by New York State.
• You must be a high school student who resides in the Roslyn school district and be at least 16 years of age by September 9, 2011. We must receive a copy of your learner's permit by September 8.
• Application must be completed and signed by a parent or guardian and must include payment and information requested. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
• Complete the registration form and return it to Roslyn Adult Continuing Education in person (Adult Education Office in the Roslyn Annex at 440 Round Hill Road, next door to Roslyn High School), by mail (P.O. Box 367, Roslyn, NY 11576) or fax (516-801-5095). Enrollment is limited and registrations are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Phone registrations are not accepted.
Tuition and Refund Policy
• Tuition is $510. For withdrawal before the start of the semester, a refund minus $10 processing fee will be issued. After the start of the semester, there will be no refunds. Full scholarships are available for students eligible for free lunch; partial scholarships are available for students eligible for reduced lunch. All requests are confidential and must be submitted to the Director of Adult Education prior to the beginning of class.
• Attendance at all Driving Groups and Theory Classes is mandatory. According to State Law, any absence and/or lateness must be made up. If you abuse this requirement you will be dropped from the program. Be certain that you can attend and be on time for all sessions before you register. No transportation to and from classes is provided. (Note: Bell Auto, the driving school that provides road instruction, offers up to 2 make-up driving sessions free of charge. A third make-up may be subject to an additional charge, payable to Bell Auto. Students with excessive absences may be dropped from the program.)
• Students are held to the same code of discipline in Driver Education as in any other Roslyn High School class or activity. A student who is permanently removed from a class or driving group because of inappropriate behavior will not receive a refund and will not be eligible to take the class again.
• Students who successfully complete the requirement for this non-credit course will receive a Student Certificate of Completion (MV285), which includes an insurance premium reduction certificate. After receiving the MV-285 and passing the road test, a 17-year-old is eligible for a regular license, but a 16-year-old is not. There is $10 charge for a replacement certificate.
• Classes and driving sessions may be extended beyond the final scheduled dates (on the attachment below) because of weather-related closings or other circumstances beyond our control. Completion certificates will be distributed on the last day of the term, after students have fulfilled all class and driving requirements.
For more information, please call 801-5091, or visit the Adult Education Office in the Roslyn Public Schools Annex at 440 Round Hill Road (St. Mary's building next door to Roslyn High School).